Call for support… our Back to School appeal
Our summer activity week in Brixton was a great success. Since then, young people who attended have been asking how we can continue to work together beyond the summer.
From go-karting and a games and movie night… to trips to Thorpe Park in Surrey and the Black Cultural Archives in Brixton…
Around 20 young people seized the opportunity in August to try new experiences, visit new places and build new friendships thanks to our summer activity programme. Now they are keen to continue working with CHIPS.
13-year-old Thomas wrote to us recently to say “In August, CHIPS hosted a summer activity week for young people in Brixton. To be perfectly honest, I wish it didn’t end and hoped there was more of it.”
Meanwhile, Michael, Sheree and Stephen recently came to us and said they’d like to bring the community together through a BBQ, so we’ve been helping them to fundraise. And Tyler and Julie are keen to get more deeply involved in go-karting through a one-year stewardship programme.
With two new youth workers on board, we have the people at CHIPS to continue supporting them. But we need financial resources too. That’s why we’re launching our ‘Back to school’ appeal. We will use the money we raise to:
- Match our young peoples’ own fundraising efforts for smaller one-off activities such as swimming and theatre visits, helping to encourage and reward their entrepreneurial spirit.
- Fund larger group events, educational and leisure activities for which young people will be required to present a business case, helping them to improve their communication skills.
- Any surplus money will be deployed across our wider work in Brixton, with the young people themselves being given a say in how it is spent.
A little amount of money can really help to make a big difference to these young people. Can you help CHIPS to build a lasting legacy from the summer work we’ve begun?
- £10 will pay for around six young people to go swimming
- £25 will buy reduced price theatre tickets for five young people
- £50 will allow a young person to benefit from a year’s stewardship programme at a go-karting club
It’s quick and easy to set up a regular donation or make a one-off gift here on our website. Please enter the project code ‘SCHOOL’ on the payment page so that we can direct your gift to this campaign.
If you prefer to send a cheque by post, please address this to CHIPS SCHOOL Project, Unit 7, Warwick House, Overton Road, London SW9 7JP.
No gift is too small! Thank you for your support.
Names in this article have been changed to protect privacy.