Celebrating and looking forward...
On the 17th September CHIPS supporters and teams came together to give thanks for all that God has enabled through CHIPS. Since Roy Calvocoressi's first project in Cyprus in the 1960s CHIPS approach to peacemaking has been developing and adapting to different contexts around the world, always based on strong biblical foundations.
50 years of peacemaking projects have been made possible through a huge number of people praying, giving and working for CHIPS. We were delighted that so many of them could be with us to share in giving thanks to God, and we could directly give thanks to them for supporting us in the past and continuing to support us as we move into the next 50 years of CHIPS!
The Right Reverend Christopher Chessun, Bishop of Southwark, in whose diocese Brixton falls, led a thought provoking CHIPS Thanksgiving Eucharist drawing on the years of bible study and contemplation of the New Testament that has underwritten CHIPS journey. This and the whole service were brilliantly put together by CHIPS Chair of Trustees Elfrida Calvocoressi.
Following the service, an exhibition space showed how diverse the story of peacemaking can be, and showed some of the triumphs that God has enabled along the way (look out for some of the posters and storyboards online soon).
Dr Elaine Storkey's call to peacemaking was particularly poignant ahead of the International Day of Peace on the 21st September, which is amazingly also the anniversary of the death of CHIPS founder Roy Calvocoressi.
If you were unable to join us on the day, we have uploaded an audio recording of Elaine Storkey's sermon below, and will soon have some video footage of the event on the website too.
CHIPS work is made possible through our supporters, and there are many ways that you can get involved with CHIPS:
- Donate - regular giving allows CHIPS to plan our projects, and gives us the resources to reach out to more communities to build peace.
- Pray - as the 50th Thanksgiving Service has shown, CHIPS is nothing without prayer. Please do sign up to monthly updates from our projects with areas of our work that particularly need prayer. We would also love to hear from you, and how we can pray with you to make peace in your own community.
- 50 feats for 50 years - this year we are asking our supporters to help us reach the goal of 50 fundraising feats in 2016. So far this has ranged from half-marathons to sponsored sings to 2 mile swims. We have loved hearing about all of the weird and wacky lengths people will go to for CHIPS - get involved by emailing email@example.com!
- Become an Ambassador - if you are inspired to become more involved in CHIPS, become an ambassador and we will equip you to take the message of peacemaking to your communities, homegroups and churches, and be a part of a network of people commited to peacemaking.
- Invite us to speak at your church - we would love to keep the message spreading, so if you would like us to come to your local church or homegroup, please do get in touch at the address above.